Position: Senior Operations Officer
Reports To: Operations Manager
Duty Station: Maiduguri, Borno (including frequent field visits)
Contract Term: 1-year fixed term with possibility of extension
Working Hours: Monday to Thursday 8:30am - 5:15pm, Friday 8:30am - 1:30pm
1 ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT:
Street Child is a UK non-profit organization established in 2008 that aims to support children living in vulnerable settings to ensure they have access to education, including the estimated 260 million school-age children worldwide who do not attend school. (UNESCO 2020).
Street Child works to ensure children are safe, in school, and learning - even, and especially, in low resource environments and emergencies. Street Child specializes in working with local level organizations for lasting impact. Since 2008, Street Child has supported 750,000+ children and 50,000+ caregivers across 20+ countries in Eastern Europe, South Asia, and Sub-Saharan Africa. Street Child is a dynamic and fast-growing British NGO recognized for an agile, ambitious approach and has an annual programmatic portfolio of $28M across a range of conflict and crisis context.
Street Child is a fast-growing organization with the experience and capacity to rapidly scale up quality interventions in different contexts. From 2021 to 2024 we aim to reach one million children while our national partners reach millions more. We target the most marginalized children and communities who are forgotten or left behind, through consistent outcome-oriented programming that enables adoption, adaptation, and scaling of successful interventions through national partnerships.
2 CORE VALUES:
2.1 Integrity: We uphold the highest standards of honesty, transparency, and ethical behavior in all our interactions.
2.2 Excellence: We strive for excellence in everything we do, delivering high-quality outcomes and continuous improvement.
2.3 Innovation: We embrace creativity and innovation, seeking new and effective ways to address challenges and drive positive change.
2.4 Collaboration: We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment, working together across teams and with external partners to achieve common goals.
2.5 Respect: We treat everyone with dignity and respect, valuing diversity and recognizing the unique contributions of everyone.
2.6 Accountability: We take responsibility for our actions and decisions, being accountable to our
stakeholders and committed to delivering on our promises.
2.7 Community Focus: We are dedicated to making a positive impact on the communities we serve, prioritizing their needs and well-being.
2.8 Adaptability: We embrace change and are adaptable in the face of evolving circumstances, learning, and growing to stay relevant and effective.
2.9 Sustainability: We are committed to environmental and social sustainability, considering the long-term impact of our actions on the planet and society.
2.10 Empowerment: We empower individuals to reach their full potential, fostering a culture that encourages initiative, creativity, and continuous learning.
2.11 Inclusivity: We actively promote an inclusive culture, ensuring equal opportunities and valuing the perspectives of all team members.
Street Child International Organization is seeking highly qualified and experienced professional to join our team as a Senior Operations Officer. This is a crucial position responsible for overseeing the organization's procurement, logistics, and administration functions. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in ensuring the efficient and strategic management of resources for our projects. The senior operations officer will be the direct supervisor for the office drivers and operations assistants.
4 KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with project managers and program teams to understand procurement needs for upcoming projects.
- Develop procurement plans, outlining the required goods and services, delivery timelines, and budget considerations.
- Identify potential suppliers, conduct market research, and maintain a comprehensive vendor database.
- Manage the bidding process, evaluate proposals, and negotiate contracts to secure favorable terms and conditions.
- Ensure adherence to donor requirements, local laws, and organizational procurement policies.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date procurement documentation.
- Work closely with finance and project teams to align procurement activities with project budgets.
- Monitor and control procurement-related expenditures, identifying cost-saving opportunities without compromising quality.
- Establish and implement quality control measures for procured goods and services to meet organizational standards.
- Conduct inspections and coordinate with relevant stakeholders to resolve any quality issues.
- Identify and assess risks associated with procurement activities and develop mitigation strategies.
- Stay informed about changes in regulations or market conditions that may impact procurement processes.
- Foster effective communication and collaboration with project teams, ensuring a clear understanding of procurement needs.
- Prepare regular reports on procurement activities, including status updates, challenges, and key performance indicators.
- Support the organization in generating reports required by donors or regulatory authorities.
- Promote ethical sourcing practices and sustainable procurement principles.
- Consider environmental and social factors in procurement decisions whenever applicable.
- Collaborate with program teams to forecast and plan for project-related logistics, ensuring the availability of necessary resources.
- Coordinate internal and external events, workshops, and meetings as needed.
- Manage logistical arrangements for events, including venue booking and catering.
- Manage the inventory of project supplies and equipment, optimizing stock levels to prevent shortages or excesses.
- Coordinate the transportation of goods and materials to project sites, ensuring timely delivery and adherence to project timelines.
- Liaise with transportation providers and ensure compliance with relevant regulations and safety standards.
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date record of project assets, including equipment, vehicles, and other resources.
- Implement asset tracking systems to monitor usage, maintenance, and depreciation.
- Oversee the logistical aspects of setting up temporary project offices and facilities as needed.
- Ensure that project sites have the necessary infrastructure and utilities for efficient operations.
- Act as a focal point for communication between program teams, suppliers, and other stakeholders regarding logistics-related matters.
- Coordinate with external partners and vendors to ensure seamless logistical support for project activities.
- Ensure compliance with local laws and regulations related to logistics, transportation, and distribution.
- Maintain accurate and complete documentation of all logistics-related transactions and activities.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of emergency preparedness plans, including logistics support for disaster response activities.
- Oversee day-to-day administrative functions, including office management, facilities, and support services.
- Ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
- Coordinate repairs and maintenance of office assets, equipment, office facilities, including plumbing, electrical, and structural repairs.
- Liaise with external service providers to ensure timely and cost-effective maintenance solutions.
- Monitor and manage utilities such as electricity, water, and internet services to ensure uninterrupted office operations.
- Negotiate and coordinate service agreements with utility providers.
- Collaborate with security advisor to ensure the safety and security of the office premises.
- Implement and monitor security protocols to safeguard staff and assets.
4.4 Strategic Planning and Capacity Development
- Develop and implement a comprehensive procurement plan aligned with organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in negotiating complex contracts, leveraging relationships with suppliers, and identifying cost-saving opportunities.
- Develop and implement training programs to enhance the capacity of staff for both Street Child and Implementing Partners in procurement, administration, and logistics.
- Mentor and guide team members for continuous improvement and professional development.
- Collaborate with Operations Manager to align departmental strategies with the overall mission of the organization.
- Conduct risk assessments and implement strategies to mitigate risks associated with procurement, administration, and logistics.
- Develop and update policies and procedures related to procurement, administration, and logistics.
- Ensure that policies are in line with best practices and compliant with donor regulations.
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) for procurement, administration, and logistics functions.
- Monitor performance against established KPIs and implement improvements as necessary.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders, including suppliers, service providers, and relevant government agencies.
- Represent the organization in clusters, strategic forums and partnerships related to procurement and logistics.
- Identify and implement innovative technologies to streamline procurement, administration, and logistics processes.
5 REQUIRED SKILLS/ABILITIES
- Ability to think big-picture and contribute to the organization's overall goals.
- Strong leadership to guide and motivate the team.
- In-depth knowledge of procurement processes and contract negotiation.
- Expertise in managing transportation, distribution, and inventory.
- Skill in creating and updating organization policies.
- Ability to set and track performance goals.
- Strong relationship-building skills with external partners.
- Awareness of new trends and ability to implement technology solutions.
- Clear and effective communication with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong problem-solving abilities using data.
- Flexibility to handle changing circumstances in donor-funded projects.
- Excellent organization with attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
6 ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- This position is open to Nigerian citizens only.
- We strongly encourage female candidates and candidates from BAY states to apply.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in business administration, Supply Chain Management, Economics, or a related field.
- Master’s degree is highly preferred.
- Additional professional certificates from CIPS or similar other professional awarding body in procurement, logistics, or administration are advantageous.
- Requires at least 5 years of pertinent professional experience within the Operations unit of a reputed international organization, preferably on donor-funded projects.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience in senior-level positions, specifically in procurement, logistics, and administration within International Organizations.
- Must possess prior work experience in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states within the last 5 years.
7 STREET CHILD’S COMMITMENT TO SAFEGUARDING
Street Child is dedicated to ensuring the safety and protection of the communities we serve, our partners, volunteers, and staff. To uphold this commitment, all employment offers will be contingent upon satisfactory references and thorough background checks. Street Child actively engages in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In adherence to this scheme, we will seek information from the previous employers of job applicants regarding any instances of misconduct, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, and/or sexual harassment that occurred during their employment or were under investigation at the time of the applicant's departure.
Street Child Nigeria does not impose any fees for recruitment and does not engage any employment mediators. During the recruitment process for this position, any attempt at canvassing at any stage will lead to immediate disqualification blacklisting.