Kora is a pan-African payment infrastructure enabling businesses to create seamless, intuitive payment experiences for their customers. Our vision is at the front and center of what we do everyday to create a future that is void of digital financial service barriers across Africa. We are committed to delivering reliable, secure, and easy-to-use digital financial solutions to customers with a guarantee that it improves their business and lifestyle.
Our organization is highly collaborative, always evolving, and fueled by excellence. Our designers at Kora are actively invested in bringing this vision to life, working alongside product stakeholders in deeply collaborative squads.
About the Role
We’re looking for an exceptional Senior Product Designer to join the team responsible for crafting and designing delightful, intuitive experiences used by several of our merchants and customers around the world on a daily basis.
As a member of the Design team at Kora, you will work hand-in-hand with other teams to craft simple, straightforward, and human-centered solutions that match our user’s needs and uphold the design standards we hold at Kora. You will leverage user experience design, design thinking, research, as well as your understanding of our business’ goals to lead and manage projects, develop product and process improvements and provide consultation where needed.
Designers at Kora play a pivotal role at every stage of product development; from strategizing to deployment; from shaping the experience of the next features, to prototyping and presenting creative solutions to existing challenges; from the crafting to finishing and releasing every detail of the products we offer.
Reporting Relationships amp; Stakeholder Engagement:
- You’ll report to the Head of Design (Elias Awili) working as part of the fast-paced and innovative design team.
- You’ll work collaboratively with other design team members, with the design team lead, product managers, engineers, business, marketing, compliance, and IT team members to ensure that products are delivered in a professional, timely manner.
- Strong working relationship with Managing Team / Directors / Team Leads around the business.
What You’ll be Doing
As a design-aware company, we empower our designers to own their work end-to-end, having a holistic approach on the experience, from product discovery to delivery - always keeping in mind our customers and their interests!
- You’ll improve existing design solutions while also continuing to evolve our products.
- You’ll be creating rational, articulable, elegant solutions to complex problems.
- You’ll think holistically about the user journey and product ecosystem, taking the initiative for work from concept and discovery through delivery and beyond.
- You’ll design concepts that are usable, relevant and lovable for the products and services we offer customers.
- You’ll contribute to OKRs, product strategy, vision, and roadmap by working closely with Product Managers, Engineering partners, and other product stakeholders.
- You’ll collaborate closely with cross-functional teams on evolving solutions that equally support our strategy and goals while ensuring a consistent user journey.
- You’ll use data to measure and improve the experience and success of the products.
- You will facilitate as much research and testing as possible, ensuring usability and product consistency.
- You'll review the performance of releases, identify key learnings and find ways to enhance it.
- To ensure we are speaking the same language as a team, we have the support of a design system - so you’ll kick in!
- You’ll be held accountable for design quality and cohesion across your own and adjacent product squads, and flag quality concerns to the responsible designers and design managers.
- Additionally, you’ll be generous with your time and knowledge well enough to engage other designers in adjacent product teams to help them grow their skills and design toolkit.
What You’ll Need
You’re qualified if you are/have:
- 4+ years of experience designing functional, effective, and delightful software products for desktop and/or mobile, especially in the payments industry.
- A portfolio featuring your product design work, especially showing products that are live and already in use.
- An out-of-the-box thinker who enjoys thinking up new ways to disrupt the status quo.
- Passionate about delivering an exceptional customer experience through designs.
- A passion for listening and learning from users.
- The ability to take ownership of the design process and work as an exceptionally driven, self-directed member of the development team.
- A systems thinker: we're building a full payment ecosystem. We encourage designers to think beyond just design.
- Strong experience in prototyping as a form of communication. Figma prototypes are our second language.
- Someone who loves (from time to time) to dig into ‘Inspect mode’, CSS, etc, to see how things work beyond design.
- Finally, you bring positive energy, are comfortable with change, and can manage your own workload effectively.
Some nice to haves:
- We look out for individuals who are comfortable with taking on leadership responsibility. It would definitely be an advantage if you’ve led smaller groups or even other individuals.
- Good experience in content creation and UX writing is always a big advantage, almost a necessity.
- Some experience in brand design is welcomed.
- Any additional skills in illustration, animation, motion design, and front-end development is a bonus!
A portfolio of relevant design work is required for consideration. It should illustrate your involvement and how you contributed to solving specific problems.
Here’s the interview process you can expect for this role. We move quickly once the process is started. The steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take a maximum of 3 weeks and an average of 3 hours in total. Please note that the interview is virtual.
- [15m] Recruiter Screen - Abayomi Ishmael
- [90m] Technical Assessment - In this stage, we explore your professional background in greater detail. We ask questions about your experience, work style, how you think about design and even your work expectations. You may meet a few team members, including those from various cross-functional areas in this stage. Sometimes, we may require you to walk us through one of your previous projects (without disclosing any details that may breach any existing contracts or NDAs) to really understand your design process. In some cases, you may need to take a short design task if the previous approach is not conclusive enough. All of these are purely for assessing whether you’re a great fit for Kora.
- [60m] Cultural Fit Interview (Our Core Values) - At this stage, you'll engage in a conversation with Kora's COO, the Head of People and Culture, and the head of the team you’re being considered for. The aim is to understand you better and assess the alignment of your beliefs and values with Kora's distinctive culture. We'd like to emphasize that there are no right or wrong answers expected. However, we encourage you to maintain a positive attitude during this session.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must coincide with 9:00 am - 5:00 pm WAT for at least 40 hours/week.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Kora is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, experience, and business needs. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented communities and diverse ethnic groups to apply.
Please feel free to inform us if you need any accommodations to facilitate your participation in the recruitment process. Any details you share will be used solely to ensure we can support and accommodate your needs appropriately.
If you require more information on our HR Data Privacy, please visit here.
- Health insurance
- Sponsored and tailored training
- Paid parental Leave
- Paid time-off
- Flexible work style
- Annual performance bonus
- Low-interest loans
- Employee assisted programs
- Day off on your birthday :)
- Employee resource groups that provide supportive communities within Kora
- Great company culture and the opportunity to work with a highly collaborative team building something great!
Note: We recognize imposter syndrome is real - any candidate who does not perfectly fit every characteristic of this role is still strongly encouraged to apply.