Our client, a leader in the Information Technology and Services Industry is seeking to fill the position of Company Secretary.
The Company Secretary will provide effective advisory services and guidance on strategic legal decisions for the Company.
- To ensure compliance of the provisions of Companies Law and rules made there-under and other statutes and byelaws of the company.
- To ensure that business of the company is conducted in accordance with its objects as contained in its memorandum of association.
- To ensure that affairs of the company are managed in accordance with its objects contained in the articles of association and the provisions of the Companies Law.
- To prepare the agenda in consultation with the Chairman and the other documents for all the meetings of the board of directors.
- To arrange with, to call and hold meetings of the board and to prepare a correct record of proceedings.
- To attend the broad meetings to ensure that the legal requirements are fulfilled and provide such information as are necessary.
- To prepare, in consultation with the chairman, the agenda and other documents for the general meetings.
- To arrange with the consultation of chairman the annual and extraordinary general meetings of the company and to attend such meetings to ensure compliance with the legal requirements and to make correct record thereof.
- To carry out all matters concerned with the allotment of shares, and issuance of share certificates including maintenance of statutory Share Register and conducting the appropriate activities connected with share transfers.
- To prepare, approve, sign and seal agreements leases, legal forms, and other official documents on the company’s behalf, when authorised by the broad of the directors or the executive responsible.
- To advise, in conjunctions with the company’s solicitors, the chief executive or other executive, in respect of the legal matters, as required.
- To engage legal advisors and defend the rights of the company in Courts of Law.
- To have custody of the seal of the company.
Legal obligations of the Company Secretary:
- Filling of various documents/returns as required under the provisions of the Companies Law.
- Proper maintenance of books and registers of the company as required under the provisions of the Companies Law.
- To see whether legal requirements of the allotment, issuance and transfer of share certificates have been complied with.
- To issue notice and agenda of board meetings to every director of the company.
- To record the minutes of the proceedings of the meetings of the directors.
- To implement the policies formulated by the directors.
- To deal with all correspondence between the company and the shareholders.
- To issues notice and agenda of the general meetings to the shareholders.
- To keep the record of the proceedings of all general meetings.
- To make arrangement for the payment of the dividend within prescribed period as provided under the provisions of the Companies Law.
The Company Secretary usually undertakes the following duties:
- Ensuring that statutory forms are filed promptly.
- Providing members and auditors with notice of meeting.
- Filing of copy of special resolutions on prescribed form within the specified time period.
- Excellent research and report writing skills
- Ability to plan and work strategically, proactively, and independently
- Effective use of ICT (Microsoft Office)
- Conflict resolutions
- Excellent communication and administrative skills
- The ability to multitask and work under pressure
- Understanding of legal issues, including governance and legal compliance
- Understanding of the technology services industry
- Knowledge of conflict management
- Knowledge of the Labour laws
- Deep understanding of ethical rules and laws
- Excellent analytical skills
Education/ Experience Requirements
- University degree (LL.B)
- Minimum of 10 years post qualification experience, of which, at least 8 years must have 4 years at top management level