Control Risks is looking for an experienced analyst to cover Nigeria and the broader West African region (particularly Ghana). The analyst will have a leading role in covering political, security and business-relevant issues in Nigeria, and in client engagements on the region. They will be part of a team focused on Sub-Saharan Africa within the Global Risk Analysis department, and will also work closely with other Nigeria-focused colleagues, particularly those in our Lagos office.
Our analysts are country specialists with backgrounds in the political risk industry, business, academia, journalism, government and/or international organisations. Our analysis is delivered to clients through subscription products and in bespoke consulting engagements that showcase our expertise. We commonly advise clients on topics such as threats to stability, election outcomes, levels of corruption, policymaking and regulatory dynamics in certain sectors.
The successful candidate will have a passion for and deep knowledge of Nigeria, and a strong background in analysing political and business dynamics in the region. They will have excellent writing and presentation skills, access to well-placed sources, and preferably some experience in business development and client engagement. Willingness to travel and an ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with colleagues across departments and offices are vital.
The successful candidate will ideally be based in our Lagos office, but London (United Kingdom) is also a possibility.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Maintain a high level of regional and country expertise on Nigeria through research and attendance at relevant seminars.
• Contribute to team discussions about political and business risk issues in Nigeria and topical developments in the region. Take ownership and responsibility for determining our position and analytical line on key issues.
• Develop and effectively manage government, academic, journalistic and business contacts in the region and share knowledge about sources with other members of the desk. Use source information astutely and conduct in-person research as and when required, respecting client confidentiality.
• Provide regular and high-quality coverage of relevant developments affecting the business environment in Nigeria and other West African countries (most notably Ghana) for clients subscribing to CORE, Control Risks’ online subscription service. This will include writing updates on trends and developments across the region in domestic politics, government policy, regulation, operational and security issues.
• Collaborate with colleagues in other geographical regions on analysis of crosscutting global issues and trends where required (COVID-19, sustainability,
Consulting and client engagement
• Be the focal point for Control Risks’ political and business risk consulting work on Nigeria. Lead conversations with clients on their requirements for analysis of political, regulatory and operational risks in the region. Scope and write proposals for bespoke consulting engagements on the region.
• Contribute to the development of compelling client deliverables and propose innovative ways to present facts and analysis to clients and assist in preparing the presentation of research in formats including PowerPoint.
• Support and contribute to the delivery of consulting engagements for the wider Africa region as required.
Marketing and business development
• Contribute to company-wide promotional publications, press releases and sales initiatives.
• Contribute to regional marketing initiatives including thought leadership (articles, blogposts, podcasts, etc.), and represent Control Risks as a country expert at conferences when required.
• Respond to media queries on the region as required under the direction of more senior members of the Africa analysis team.
Previous full-time professional experience in consulting, political and security risk analysis, emerging market analysis, market intelligence, public policy, academia, or government, with a primary focus on West Africa (whether focused primarily on Nigeria, Ghana, or the West Africa region as a whole).
Practical experience of living, working or travelling in Nigeria.
Knowledge and understanding of key political, regulatory, sector and operational risks for business in Nigeria.
Proven ability to write and verbally communicate with authority and clarity.
Network of professional contacts in Nigeria and the wider West Africa region (public and private sector, policy and academia, journalism, government, etc.)
Experience conducting business development, proven track record of winning work (or funding), managing projects, and developing/maintaining client relationships.
Track record of relevant publications, participation in conferences and events, or providing expert comment to media
Proficiency in local languages